Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Podcasting

After creating a podcast I learned that it can be a very helpful tool in the classroom for helping children to learn information audibly. For example, I created a podcast that is a song to help kids learn the 50 states. I would inform teachers though that it is important to use the podcast to enhance learning and not be the sole focus of a lesson. For instance, I would have students not just memorize the 50 states but put it into context by teaching them where these states are on a map or have them label a map. I think that for the first podcast it was a slow process but I know the more and more I create the better and faster I would get. I would tell newbie podcasters to be patient because it will go slow at first and may be frustrating but once they get the hang of it they will be fine.

4 comments:

Emma Dreyer said...

I like your idea of having the podcast enhance the lesson but not be the whole lesson. You gave good advice to newbie podcasters.

Heather said...

I completely agree with advising to be patient. There were many times when I was frustrated! =)

Ray said...

Hi Christine,
I too at first had some difficulty getting started with my podcast. Soon I got the hang of it and realized just how easy podcasting really is. I had issues more with lowering the music for the part where I'm speaking over it. I also agree podcasts should be used to enhance a lesson. I was thinking of using them for students to listen to at home, as well, so they can have the information at their disposal.

riss said...

Creating a song was a wonderful idea! Learning the 50 states is one of the hardest things... I think... and a song is very helpful!